Mechanical engineers research, design, develop, build, and test such critical devices as tools, engines, sensors, and safety equipment. Their skills are crucial in such fields as robotics, construction, aerospace, automotive, biotechnology, and energy.
Who We Are
Our Department of Mechanical Engineering includes:
- Expert faculty members working in thermal and fluid sciences, micro/nano mechanics, photonics, tribology, and energy-water nexus.
- Funded researchers doing life-changing work.
- Motivated, skilled students.
- Committed staff members devoted to creating a positive student experience.
- Passionate alumni creating companies and connections.
- Smart donors who care about the development of mechanical engineering at Mason.
- A prestigious advisory board comprised of leaders in their fields.
“What I like most about the mechanical engineering program is working with all the great students and faculty. Attending a school in the Washington, D.C. area provides many great opportunities including employment and internships.”
— Michael Ambrosio, mechanical engineering major